Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Training

Most of the runners I know are binge runners. That is they don't run on a regular basis, rather take months off at a time and then push in the mileage just before a key race, only to repeat the cycle again.

While I've been known to do this at times, I try to have more of a consistent long-term running program. If I just keep running all year, minus a few rest weeks following a marathon, then it doesn't take me too long to prep for any race of any distance. (If I don't have a race coming up, I'll go out and run 30-45 minutes 4 times per week, and run a longer run on the weekend of 10-12 miles. That keeps me fresh and ready to tackle a more specific training program of 5K-Marathon races.)

Here are a few of the programs I used when preparing for a race. These are only examples - I don't like having day-to-day, week-to-week set schedules. When I start these schedules, I'm already in decent shape. They are rarely started from scratch.

5K-10K Training
Mon...45 minutes steady
Tues...Intervals equaling 3 miles (ex. 12 400s, 600 800s or 3 1600s)
Wed...45 minutes steady
Thurs...Hills sprints
Fri...45 minutes easy
Sat...10-12 miles long run
Sun...Rest

Half-Marathon Training
Mon...45-60 minutes steady
Tues...Intervals equalling 6 miles (ex. 3 2-mile runs or 6 1-mile runs)
Wed...45-60 minutes steady
Thurs...Hill sprints or 4-7 tempo run at half-marathon pace
Fri...45-60 minutes easy
Sat...12-16 miles long run
Sun...Rest

Marathon Training
Mon...60 minutes steady
Tues...10 800 repeats at Marathon Time (3:00:00 marathon = 3:00 800)
Wed...60 minutes steady
Thurs...4-7 tempo at half-marathon pace or 10-12 at marathon pace
Fri...60 minutes easy
Sat...16-22 miles long run
Sun...Rest

Though these training schedules are nothing compared to what I did in college, they still get me in shape to run close-to-best times. If I follow these schedules, I can typically run high 16s in the 5K, high 34s in the 10K, around 1:18:00 in the half and around 3 hours in the full.

The key is the find out what works best for YOU! For me, it's simplicity in training, staying in decent shape all year and running one longer run per week, regardless of race distance.

No comments: