Friday, December 14, 2007

Upcoming Training/Racing

I've been feeling a little sick the last few days (actually, really sick), so had to take a few days off from running and missed work Wednesday through Friday - which just means I'll have a lot to do when Monday rolls around. As far as running goes, I've decided to take the weekend off and get a fresh start on Monday.

This time off has given me the time to plan my upcoming races and a rough draft of my training. The race I've decided to focus on is the Louisville's Lovin' the Hills 50K trail race on Feb. 16, and possibly the Land Between the Lakes 50-Mile trail race on March 8. My goals are to enjoy the trail races and finish them strong without much expectations.

As far as training, I'm going to concentrate on getting ready for the 50K race and then worry about the races that follow. I'm trying to take it one race at a time during 2008. Sometimes I look too far ahead, thinking about races months away when I should focus on the upcoming race. A typical week will include four runs during the week of 40-60 minutes with one harder run or workout, and a long run on the weekend. Instead of planning out a training schedule weeks in advance, I'm going to plan it week-by-week, looking at what I did the previous week and looking ahead to the following week. That way I won't get to caught up in mileage and training logs, avoid burnout and decrease my chances of injuries.

Hopefully that will get me ready for the 50K.

No comments: