Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Week of Sept. 29-Oct. 5

Just a few weeks left until the Louisville Marathon and I got in decent mileage this week with about 46 miles. I count my weekly mileage from Monday through Sunday, but during a 7-day stretch (Sunday through Saturday) I actually got in 71 so I was pleased with that. Due to a couple of setbacks the last month, I don't feel as strong as I was hoping I would at this point, but I think I'm fit enough to possible PR in Louisville.

I was looking over the marathon's website the other day and noticed a few changes: (1) This will also be the USA Military Championships, which should draw in some faster runners I would think. (2) The route used last year has been completely changed for this year with the race running mainly through downtown Louisville, which might add a few more hills but it still should be a fast, flat course, and more scenic. (3) The half-marathon and marathon runners will be starting at different places but will use the same finish. Actually, I like this change since I usually get caught up in trying to pace off of an inconsistent half runner. Plus, I'll know what place I'm in with the other marathoners from the get-go.

Here's what I ran last week. Sunday I did a 24- to 25-mile long run.

Monday: DNR - rest after yesterday's long run
Tuesday: warmup, 2 x 2 miles on slow, grass course in 12:30, 12:45, cooldown = 6 miles
Wednesday: AM 6 miles, PM 4 miles = 10 miles
Thursday: AM 4 miles, PM 20 minutes, 10 x hill sprints, 10 minutes = 10 miles
Friday: 4 miles
Saturday 16 miles w/ miles 4-14 at sub-7 pace

Decent week. This upcoming week I want to cut mileage back just a tad, get in one "good" workout and a few solid runs. Then, I'll rest up for the actual marathon.

No comments: